View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
wayne1801

Being strong in the face of adversity

After reading many of the testimonials a common theme about triggers including boredom and loneliness emerges. Make no mistake. I am an alcoholic who has tried and failed on many occasions to right himself.

As many of you describe, I have run the gamut of emotions and frustrations with not being able to succeed permanently. Something I would like for you to think about is trying to reduce the size of the monster and turn off the notion that alcoholism is your biggest problem. It is not. Your biggest problem (like many of you have already recognized) is to get past the triggers that make you feel you need to drink in the first place. Identification of those triggers is paramount. I know that you are all good people and that following a forum such as this in general is great support. Something that seems to get lost when you drink is your self pride. It may be that drinking either increases or decreases our self pride. You cannot just say to yourself that you need to be strong. You must BE STRONG, identify your triggers and whenever they present themselves recognize the opportunity to defeat them with your mental strength. We all have it. One of the reasons that we have triggers at all is that we yield to our own personal weakness.

I have heard the phrase almost all my drinking life that you must "fight your demons". I don't think that I ever really took the time to take that phrase apart and recognize what truth for me lay within.

I don't struggle everyday now with my demons but they are still there. The day they finally leave your consciousness, you will always think of them but you will never succumb to them. You will win..the major part of this statement is the word "will".

Be strong my friends!

Wayne