View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
AcceptingChange

Originally Posted by Cecilia44 View Post
I don't know what there is to hope for. I was sober for 7 years and while I never felt like cr*p from being drunk, I can't honestly tell any of you that life, "got better."
Because it isn't true. Life was life whether drunk or sober. And so be it.
Hi Cecilia,
I experienced this too. I thought if i quit drinking, that being sober would be a new high. I imagined i'd be healthy and clear headed and a spunky 15 year old with endless energy.

But now i'm back to the same person who wanted to escape from being the person i was when i chose to drink. And after all these years of drinking, i still have the same old fears. Drinking didn't change me. It just provided a temporary escape for a few hours, when it worked. Often the escape wouldn't occur and i'd be just as depressed.

You asked if " 'life' got better". Do you mean global life, or your individual life? I know my body couldn't take being sick all the time, the aftermath of being drunk. And if life is so painful that you feel it's just as good being sick as not, then maybe you're experiencing depression. Alcohol isn't the solution for life's miseries, and yes, there are many that we experience even when we're sober.