View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 09:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Squig

Currently starting day 17 as of the stroke of midnight. Having some previous experience with extended sobriety, I know for a fact that life isn't all sugar plums, lollipops, unicorns and rainbows just because I decided to get sober. Life is going on with or without you, drunk or sober, dead or alive.

Without going into great detail, I might be out of work soon due to a situation out of my control. This is a career that I started at 20, have dedicated the past 9 1/2 years to, and received all training and experience on the job. Basically, I'll be starting over at 30 without any marketable skills. I believe that's referred to as "having your ass to the wind."

I won't go into the notion of hitting high or low bottoms, as I feel that one's own personal bottom is a matter of context and unique to the individual. I can say that being sober while dealing with life on life's terms provides me with two things- hope and optimism. For someone who drank the way I did, those are two feelings I welcome with open arms. Best of luck to you.