View Single Post
Old 05-01-2005, 06:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
gelfling
Searching and tripping

The disease and the effects are ongoing. I have a niece who was married to an alcoholic, divorced him and is now again involved with a guy and her codieisms are in full swing. I tried talking to her in a round about way about it and she said she was glad she went to alanon when married to her exA and doesn't think she needs it anymore. I couldn't tell her that she's already going down that same path. I can only sit back and hope she wakes up before she marries the idiot.

The point I'm trying to make is that your sons are still occasionally exposed to the alcoholic and that ongoing treatment might be a good idea. They'd understand mroe now that they're older. That's why I suggested finding alanon for kids. Just like the alcoholic with AA..it's a lifetime disease, they're just in remission. They will continually need help and guidance for the rest of their lives to stay sober. Same for us alanoners. Mine hasn't drank in 18 years, but I am still feeling the effects when he's a dry-drunk. And my son who is 4 months sober.

You're doing well and know where your head is. You're a good mom.