View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Sorry, guys, I've been at a training in SC all week--just got home.

WTBH, the RO thing is a tiny bit tricky with the emails he's sending. As I recall, there is a history of violence (the incident in the parking lot comes to mind). My own suggestion would be to contact a DV advocate at your local shelter for some guidance. They probably can give you an idea whether you'd be granted an order given the history here.

In a merely acrimonious divorce, the emails he's sending could be construed as just obnoxious tit-for-tat. That usually isn't enough to get an order. Laws vary from state to state, but in my state, for example, it's necessary to show that an act of domestic violence has occurred (in this case, harassment) AND that an order is necessary to protect the victim. In other words, that it isn't just an isolated incident (or what our courts refer to as a "routine domestic contretemps") but rather part of a pattern of domestic violence/coercive control.

You might very well have enough there, especially with the history, which you MUST inform the court about at the time you apply for the order, so the calls/emails/other communication can be put in context. I think an advocate familiar with the court's practices in your jurisdiction would be in the best position to guide you. They might also be able to hook you up with an attorney for the hearing (which is HIGHLY advisable, especially if he has one).

For some guys, though, and your ex sounds like he's probably one of them, if you apply for an order and he "wins," it will only embolden him. OTOH, he seems to be the kind of idiot who would quickly violate an order, too, and a brief spell in the slammer might get him to back off. You know him better than we do.

I'd really suggest calling the shelter, though, and finding out what you can. It might help you decide whether to go forward with that, or whether to see if changing the number helps first.