View Single Post
Old 12-25-2014, 10:33 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
11Stars

Hi moms - it's the first time posting on this thread for me - wanted to say hello and share a bit. I have two little ones 3 yo and 9 yo. Today was a fun, sweet and sober christmas with the family. A first for me and I am beyond grateful for this peace and calm.
However... I am feeling it's a little bittersweet because the 9 yo tricked me into admitting that I was santa! She got gloves in her stocking and waited a few hours and then off handedly asked me where I bought them (she was trying on....) I was distracted and answered "oh sports chalet I think" and I was caught! There was no backtracking. She was very briefly put out that we had "lied to her" and then delighted to be in the know. We talked about the magic of the season and the classic story A Christmas Carol and how it is all about kindness, giving, and togetherness with no Santa mentioned at all. She got it and wants to help make the magic happen for her brother.

Although I was relieved she wasn't upset and clearly she was ready to know since she was trying to catch me on it I am still sad. She isn't going to have that innocent dream and hope anymore. I bet when it sinks in about all the little details likes the elf on the shelf, the letters to Santa, and who eats the cookies and carrots she may be sad too. Oh well. Part of me is hoping that tomorrow I can somehow get her to believe again. Am I being self indulgent here or has anyone else gone through this or both?? Thinking about this is the only thing that gave me the urge to have a glass of wine. So sadness must be a trigger. Maybe guilt too. I'm fine - I won't - but here are some clues for me for triggers. I hope you all had a great day and thanks for letting me get that off my chest!