View Single Post
Old 12-25-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Todzilla

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Todzilla....very true...while she may never change...you do have to get to the bottom of your issues for your own inner peace and that of y our child. I am glad to hear that you are mindful enough to not want to repeat a pattern down the road.

I do know that you can absolutely do this. Do you mind my asking how old your child is?

dandylion
Thanks, Dandylion! Child in question is 16, with college ambitions in a year and a half. Impending empty nest is weighing on my wife's mind no doubt. My two older kids, from my first marriage, are in their early thirties. I saw the pain they suffered through their Mom's and my divorce (they were 2&5 at the time) and I hate to inflict that on my youngest. Older kids are an Emergency Veterinarian and an MD, both in healthy relationships, so I know it's not an irrevocable sentence.

My current issue is letting go of trying to get my wife to recognize her behavior toward me and it's destructive effects. I keep clinging to the hope she'll become self-aware and change. She may, but that'll be her move, not mine.