Old 12-24-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
puzzledpanther

hi there. I'm newly sober and have some general health questions

hi I'm new here and this is my first post. i quit drinking nov 20th and i am happy that i did. its positive and i don't question that...nor am i scared of immediately relapsing (this second anyway). I'm 38 and i have been a heavy drinker for probably 18 years. i have tried quitting before but never got this far.

i am determined now and with the help of AA I am doing well. but heres the thing.

i quit and detoxxed (it was not easy) but i hurt my back last week and was in bed for 3 days. then within two days of that i got really sick with strep throat and I'm back in bed for 4 days. today is german christmas and i am stuck in bed alone sick.

I've never been this sick or fragile feeling in my life. i thought quitting drinking would make me feel awesome but i feel kinda like "this is what i get?" is this common? does sobriety ruin my immune system? is it true alcohol keeps you healthy or was i just to drunk to notice? someone else must understand.

the second part is in regards to anxiety. i suffer from anxiety when I'm overtired, sometimes when I'm about to eat i get panicky, sometimes social situations...not all the time but mostly because I'm overtired. at night my mind starts racing and i can't fall asleep. i used to drink til i slept almost every night for a long time. does the anxiety go away eventually?

if anyone has any similar experiences i would love to hear it. thanks.

merry christmas eve to everyone and I'm glad to be on this board.