View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
lawinct

Purses-
I am new here too; did my first post on Monday night. I have followed the advise of "read, read, read" and have spent many hours just reading the stories of others. My husband has been sober since September 29, although I don't know if he would be if he didn't almost die after routine knee replacement surgery. My RAH was more of a closet drinker, so I didn't know just how much he was drinking. While he was going through the DT's and was totally incoherent, I couldn't even tell the doctors what he drank, let alone how much and how often. I felt so stupid, but I know now that it was not my fault, that I wasn't responsible for what he was doing and that my situation was not unique.

I am still trying to figure this new life out and can't offer you much advice of my own right now, but I wanted to at least reach out to you as a newbie. Your story is much like many of the wonderful people that post on SR. Read, absorb and take what you want away from it. We will most likely make mistakes along the way, but find ways to find strength for yourself and your children.

One thing I think about now that I did not do is to try to stow away some money or open up a credit card in your name only in case you need a quick escape with the kids and need to go to a hotel, especially if the verbal abuse becomes more consistent or if you believe physical abuse is likely. Keep a Domestic Abuse hotline number in your purse.