View Single Post
Old 12-16-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
I was reading some psychology information recently about how simply changing your point of view and using different language goes a long way. For example: instead of saying we've "lost the game" with alcohol, we should say we've "figured it out" and have come out on top. That said, a lot of the language in the recovery community sternly warns against anyone feeling TOO proud of themselves. God forbid we become a little less humble about our accomplishments....
I agree very strongly with this, bigsombrero. Consider the difference between 'I can't drink any more' and 'I reject alcohol and choose to be sober and achieve and attain what I am capable of'. The second is inspiring and uplifting, while the first is a negative statement that imposes a condition we may not be willing to accept.

I think too that positive self talk is empowering and liberating, precisely what is needed when leaving addiction. If we can congratulate ourselves, it is easier then to congratulate others on their successes. We can all do with a little more of that.