Old 12-16-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Originally Posted by endlesspatience View Post
Um I'm sorry to say something negative rather than encouraging but I don't think he is really forced to work anything like the hours you say. Such working hours are against the law in the UK. People exaggerate how hard they are working ALL the time. It's normal but it's especially common among relapsing alcoholics when they are looking for an excuse to drink.

Sorry not to be warmer in my response.
Well, here in the US there is no limit on the hours managers can be required to work. The rules are different if you're not a manager--in those situations you get overtime. Here, if you're a manager they can work you as hard as they want to.

Sounds like he maybe took too much on for his first job in two years. Not that that's an excuse for a relapse, but he should have taken a more modest job a long time ago. My second husband (who lost his job because he screwed up due to drinking) refused to apply for what he considered "doofus" jobs. Beneath him, IOW.

Anyway, that wasn't what you asked. I'd stay away from sending little messages of encouragement about his recovery. Too controlling. You can say, "that's nice," or "good for you," if he tells you something recovery-related, but I wouldn't bring it up otherwise.

"I love you" or "I'm thinking about you and hope your day is good" are nice, neutral expressions of caring.