View Single Post
Old 12-14-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Taz321

Originally Posted by Ali2013 View Post
Are you saying that you are still married to protect the kids but have given up on the "marriage"?

Again I can only speak to my situation. I would not say that I stay in the "marriage" to protect the kids. I stay because I love them and because they love me. I stay because they are to young to understand and I stay because as a step parent I have no parental rights. Unfortunately in this jacked up state that I live in the sperm donor that has never laid eyes on or given one damn about those kids has more rights than I have.

Again I am only speaking for my situation. I certainly don't stay in my marriage because of any hope that my wife will one day choose sobriety over alcoholism. My wife has been an alcoholic for most all of her adult life. She has drank away ever meaningful relationship that she ever had, to include ours. It has been a very humbling and emotionally devastating experience as a husband and a man to come to the realization that a chemical (alcohol) is more important to my wife than I am, more important to her than our marriage and unfortunately more important to her than her kids relationship with the only father they have ever had. A "father" that unfortunately for his own well being loves those kids more than he loves himself.

But that is just my situation.