Thread: Bankruptcy
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2014, 10:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
NWGRITS
Bunnies!

The exhole failed to mention his $40k debt to me before we married, and so my credit went down the toilet because I was legally on the hook for his dumb ass. I filed a chapter 7 with my $55k in medical bills and one measly credit card balance (less than $300). The secretary at my attorney's office asked if I had filled out the paperwork correctly, as it didn't state a joint filing. I told her it was correct, and that I had an appointment with the same attorney to handle my divorce once the bankruptcy was final. It's been 5 years and I'm finally recovering. Would I do it again? Absolutely. I wasn't racking up credit card bills to buy things I couldn't afford. I didn't get kicked out of the military and owe back a reenlistment bonus. My ex screwed me over and I had legitimate debts already with a chronic medical condition. It's there for the people who truly need it (but sadly, the majority of filers are living way beyond their means and want an easy way out). There's no shame in filing. Nobody even has to know unless you tell them.