Old 12-11-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
MesaMan

Off The Table

Seconding all the above...

One of my Taglines is: 'I don't kick Puppies. I don't hit Women. And, I don't drink'.

What that is intended to be about to is to illustrate, and live by, a point I feel is often missed in Hand-wringing Threads elsewhere. We each have in our Lives things we just don't do. Can you imagine someone popping onto SR here and saying 'Gee, I'm not sure I can avoid smacking my Wife again, but I'm gonna give it a go. Ooops, relapsed, and now she's in the ER. I didn't mean to get that pissed at her'. A dramatic example, I realize, but right where I mentally compartmentalized any further Drinking behavior/option. It's behavior that's forever off the Table.

Once one equates Drinking again as being a similar, fundamentally-unacceptable Behavior, a lot of the angst and malarkey surrounding Drinking simply evaporates.

Eventually, the decision to not pick up, and Drink ever again, soaks right down to your Bones and becomes part of who you are. For me - now at all of 11 months in - this also provides a 'work around' to the daunting, false obstacle of unnecessarily imagining - or fixating on - never drinking again.

You can't fret what - mentally - isn't an option anymore. Glad to see you joining us!

'There's no place like Home' ~ Dorothy Gale

-----