View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
lizatola

Originally Posted by Stung View Post
Do you have a sponsor in al-anon?

I know that you have talked about two things within recent memory: shopaholic stuff and money issues and you just bought a new car. People who have shopaholic tendencies tend to buy things in order to distract themselves from their feelings. I'm speaking from my own personal experiences. Last Christmas, I treated myself to two Louis Vuitton bags and a pair of Chanel sunglasses. They gave me a momentary "I deserve this stuff" high but all of my problems brought me back down because I still didn't deal with them.

I hope this doesn't come off as insensitive, I'm attempting to bring in a different perspective.

Today I took myself to my doctor for a long overdue checkup. Next week it's the dentist. This is what I've learned that self care it is about: less about money, more about self.
Yeah, I do, and yes that was a problem for me. If it sounds better, I got the roller ball scent which costs about 1/3 the price of the actual perfume.

Yeah, with the car purchase, things are changing because of the payment. I'm canceling our country club membership this month which means no more trainer and gym. I have lots of DVDs that are collecting dust and I used to be a yoga instructor so it's time for me to step it up and take care of my exercise on my own, LOL!

I'm putting my son into a program for training for high school athletes which will be 1/4th the cost of the country club membership where I felt we were wasting money anyway.

I'm also canceling the pool service and I'm getting rid of MY nextflix account (ah has his own) and my audible account and possibly downgrading cable to basic.

Since I tend to obsess, I can also go the other way. Re-using plastic bags(as long as it was used for dry ingredients/products), turning off lights when we leave a room, using coupons and shopping sales, etc. I've done all of this before but it was years ago when I quit my job and we had to learn to live off one income. I've done it before, I can do it again.

The only splurge I'll continue to make is on my IT cosmetics CC cream. Other than that, Suave and Pantene and Cover Girl will do! As will Walmart sour cream and milk, LOL!

Funny that you mentioned the doctor. I'm going to the dentist next week to make sure all is well and I have an MRI scheduled for Friday to check my spine because of the pain I've been having for 6 months now. Doc is concerned because it's not better after alternative therapies. Oh, and I had my physical back in September because I knew I needed to do that, too, after 10 years of neglect, ugh.

I get what you are saying and I'm so glad you brought it up. Definitely something I have to watch and be accountable for. I'm actually hoping that having AH involved in the 'watching of the accounts' helps me tidy up my spending. It's time for me to make changes because I'll be on a fixed income until I get on my feet again in the future!