View Single Post
Old 12-01-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
My fiancé told me last night that he thinks I need to find some balance. Either I'm going to a meeting (while working full time) every single day, or I'm doing nothing at all. He said he thinks I need to actually build a new life sober. Start finding ways to have fun sober, new hobbies, ways to enjoy my life. Because I start hitting 7-10 meetings a week and I have no time for anything else and he says it's like I become a b&$tchy robot on autopilot. And eventually I get so overwhelmed and sick of it that I decide I can't enjoy life sober and say skrew it all.

What do you guys think about this? Is it possible that I'm lacking balance and that's why I keep relapsing despite doing meetings/steps/sponsor/etc??

Happy to be back SR hope everyone is doing well.
Welcome back Mrrryah. I think your fiance is giving you very good advice.

I do think though that your return to drinking may still be seated in your inability to accept that you are an alcoholic. Even in this thread you state that you "think" it's time to give sobriety a real try. You have to accept that you cannot control your drinking and also accept that you never will be able to. I tried over and over to conrol my drinking with every conceivable attempt at moderation, and it ALWAYS ended in failure. Only when I finally accepted that drinking is simply something I can never do, ever, did I start making some headway.

It sounds like you have a very supportive fiance and access to many resources that could help with your sobriety. I truly hope you can find the motivation to make this the time that it works.