Old 11-30-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
George89

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
I was your age when I realized the same thing. I turn 53 tomorrow and the last 28 yrs. of research has proven the same exact point--I can't drink AND have a life. I don't see alcohol as the enemy anymore. I do however take issue with that voice that says drinking is do-able. I'm not white-knuckling but becoming acutely aware of how thought streams build momentum and shut them down before the irrational side gets too heavy. AVRT , SR and the treadmill are my program for now and it's working. Best wishes....
Thanks Anattaboy.

The month I did stop drinking, I realized I was happier, i felt better, I lost weight, it was completely obvious that I was in a better place. Its just funny how when do begin a pattern of drinking again, that we somehow convince ourselves that we can't leave that place, even thought it causes us sadness.

I remember whilst I was doing the month, that the were too main elements that stopped me from staying sober further. Those two elements were 1 feeling like I would be perceived as having an issue with people at work, and 2 generally having to cut back on the lifestyle I was used to, the social on the weekends, dates with girls. Becoming sober means you have to change your lifestyle quite a lot, and I just wasn't prepared for that.

But I know its possible, and my theory is that it mostly revolves changing one's pattern of activities from night time stuff (clubs, bars, pubs etc) to doing stuff in the day with friends or alone, so you can get the enjoyment and fulfillment of leisure time, exercise, socalising and learning (or whatever it may be) and by the time you get to 11pm or so, you can go to sleep feeling like you have had a fulfilling weekend.

Anyway, its all theoretically easy, but of course harder in practice.