Old 11-30-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
George89

Originally Posted by Lusher View Post
Hey George89- First congrats on both recognizing, as well as taking steps to take care of a problem. Alcohol is a progressive problem, so good for you for taking note of what's 'really' going on with you, and still at a young age.

I think most people try and convince themselves how they really don't have any problems with alcohol, even though they realize their drinking habits are really out of the norm for true 'social drinkers.' I think deep inside we all know when it's becoming a problem, whether we've found ourselves in some type of trouble or not.

Again, good for you for taking some steps to nip this in the bud, so to say, and I look forward to seeing you around.

Lusher
Hi Lusher,

absolutely, it seems there are a lot of people in my age group who joke about spending their weekends hungover, and talking about drinking too much just seems to be part of being in your twenties and 'partying' but I look at these other people who just seem to be 'having fun' and wonder whether they too are addicted to alcohol in some way too, but they just don't know it yet.

I have always been interested in Buddhism, and there is a quote from a Japanese monk in the Zen tradition that I really like:

"We live in group stupidity and confuse this insanity with true experience. It is essential that you become transparent to yourself and wake up from this madness. Zazen means taking leave of the group and walking on your own two feet."

If you take out the 'zazen' and put in 'being sober', the quote seems to resonate in regards to what a non drinker has to do in an alcoholic society.