View Single Post
Old 11-29-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
samseb5351

Originally Posted by Gargery View Post
I'm an AA guy. I do my best to work the steps with my sponsor, but the mental gymnastics required are tiring me out. I wouldn't mind investigating another option, but ten months of AA and my nerves are a bit raw: I think I may explode if I hear just one more trite slogan or bromide. This Beast business has me clawing at the bars of my cage already - any time a group of like-minded individuals start tossing around capital letters willy nilly, my ire rises.
Hey Gargery

Its a great idea to explore all options, I know when I first broke away from my traditional recovery, I was annoyed and upset and resentful, there was a huge temptation to say "if this part is bad" then it all must be bad. I personally believe that any heightened emotional state whether it be feelings of hopelessness, bliss or anger makes me vulnerable to credulity, when something comes along that feeds my protestations of the group or program I'm questioning, you can kind of feel justified and reinforced in your emotions, but for me there is a great danger that I am not fully experiencing my own recovery and down the track I may feel the same way about the new program/attitude/philosophy.
I suppose its decent skepticism that can help here, Ask questions lots of questions, don't be afraid to challenge the absolute claims made by anyone, ask for evidence.
I personally am no longer part of the 12 step recovery movement but I am still grateful for some aspects of fellowship, and mindful attention to things that can come about through inventory. Like you I was frustrated by people voicing slogans and one liners with no real attention to what they actually mean and in my circles finding very view people who lived by the one liner that so easily tripped of the tongue.