View Single Post
Old 11-27-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
samseb5351

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
The Beast term at a minimum points to the lower brain function as the source of these thoughts. You can choose to demonize your wonky survival drives if that helps you separate from them. You know, 'That Old Black Magic has me in its spell' etc. Buddhist practice I think is another step in the evolution of this form of mindfulness, and if your are cool with that, then AVRT may be a retrograde step. I think this concept of lower brain function that could be controlled with rational thought was my first understanding, but it has moved to a more mindful approach that of includes acceptance, and may be more towards a holistic Buddhist approach. I dunno, my understanding seems to be evolving over the years as I learn more about this stuff. I certainly appreciate the learning that goes on for me as we discuss this stuff here. Thanks.
I like your thinking and am encouraged by your journey Freshstart. Sometimes I read your posts especially those on CBT, and say "i think you have got something there". This maybe something for a different thread, but I sometimes wonder if you read one of your original posts the one "AVRT explained" post, and you think of yourself today, Has there been a change in the person who wrote back then and the person now. There is not much these days that excites me in recovery rooms But when I see
Someone (regardless of their conclusions) say "my understanding seems to be evolving over the years as I learn more about this stuff" I get a big Smile on My Dial