View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Thumper

Ugh! I feel for you!

I think there are two parts to this.

One - some people will just not be ignored. My ex was fine up until I filed for divorce and he went crazy. He acted a lot like that and to ignore him - he just wouldn't have it. I would say nothing - not a peep. I'd get up and leave and he'd just follow me around going on and on asking/saying the same things. I learned that there was NO POINT in correcting, explaining, stating my side, agreeing, or any other response. There is nothing that I could say that would satisfy him and/or that would not used as a weapon against me later. I would suggest coming up with a list of supportive things to do because it is going to be a long few months until after the holidays with that man. Things came to a head at my house in August/September and my intent was that we would stay under the same roof until the beginning of the year. That was just no longer workable. He moved out before Thanksgiving. You will not believe how much weight will be lifted from your shoulders when you are no longer a forced audience member! I remember the counselor asking me if I felt like I was walking on egg shells and I said no, of course not, but wow - once he was gone I knew what she meant!

Second - it would make my head explode that he just had it wrong. I was desperate for him to understand me, to see how I saw it. For him to understand that I did not want him to hurt or think I was horrible etc. It was part of the emotional enmeshment I had going with him. Once I was able to accept that his reality was different than my reality, and that was OK - I could also detach and just let it go. It is one of THE most freeing things in the world. Whatever he thought of me, his memories, recollections, feelings, accusations, perceptions - many of them were outrageous and I could let it all go. Whatever - not my monkey anymore. I had my own thoughts, memories, etc. and they were mine.

Not that any of this was helpful but hang in there. There will be and end to this stressful time!