View Single Post
Old 11-23-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
colagirl
getting there

Yay, the thread lives!

I had my one year anniversary last Tuesday. My counselor suggested I go to an AA meeting to celebrate, so I did. It was okay. I enjoy listening to other people's stories because, while the details are different, it's really all the same at the core. I feel pretty uncomfortable at the meetings still, though. Just not really my thing. I think I will still try to go once a month or so, or whenever I feel like hearing other people talk about their recovery.

It's weird, even though I have a year I still feel like it is early days. Definitely not as difficult as in the beginning, but it's like I still feel attached to my addict, if that makes sense.

I see your point on the counseling nands. I still see mine every 2-3 weeks, but most of the time we talk about just stuff that's currently going on, not as much about drinking. What I still find benefit from, though, is finding those places that used to be my triggers and learning good coping skills for them. I am really like a child with no coping skills. I've learned that I react from emotion, very quickly, and usually regret it. I have a very hard time letting the emotions pass without letting someone know exactly how I feel (like a very unfortunate Comcast guy on the phone the other night, lol). I've been working through that a lot with her and it's been helpful. Sort of like addressing root causes of the drinking.