View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
MesaMan

Self Contained

WAY back when, before Underwater Divers had SCUBA Tanks of Air on their Backs, they'd wear massive Helmets that sealed around their upper Bodies. Or, they'd wear entire Suits with such a Helmet. While they labored Underwater, Air would be pumped down through Tubing to this Helmet from a Motor, or Foot-driven Mechanical Pump, on a Boat above. Well, a Pump or Tubing or Seal failure meant Drowning in that high-risk Profession.

SCUBA Tanks came along, and I think we're all familiar with those. Air on your Back; controlled and monitored by the Underwater Diver. Self contained.

To me, RR/AVRT is like having my Sobriety/Recovery SCUBA Tank 'Air' with me at all times. Bars. Wedding Receptions. Dinners out with 3 Drinkers, as was the case last night, w/o issues whatsoever at some Joint known for many Tequilas. No dependence on external 'Routines', or having to call someone. I just cruise around in my self-contained Sobriety Zone. Lovin' Live. And, I am. The proverbial Big Kahuna that keeps me on track, and free of potential Triggers, is my Mind; acting in effortless conformance to my Big Plan. My Mind is never in a position to 'not take my call', so to speak. RR/AVRT ensures that everything I need has been internalized.

Of any number of falsehoods thrown about, one is that RR/AVRT is going it 'alone'. Closer examination exposes this baseless Stereotype for what it is. I stay logged into SR on all 3 of my Electronic Devices; simply to read up on what Folks here are up to. It makes standing in line at the Grocery Store into productive time, for example. I've never looked at SR while 'White Knuckling' it to help prevent me from picking up. I suppose one could do that, too. We're on the move between 3 Houses, and Trailer Camping, etc.. So, flexible, virtual, on-line support for my etched-in-Stone Mindset of never Drinking again is where's it at. For me.

I pal up with former Drinkers/Tokers in my Carbon-based discussions. It's nice mixing it up: virtual Pals here, and Carbon-based Pals at, say, our local Dog Park. Like me, they also just up and quit. We're everywhere, but don't necessarily broadcast our presence, or Recovery Method.

Casting off the Ankle Chain of Addiction was Step #1. Casting off the Ankle Chain of external Program Dependency was Step #2. Freedom from Alcohol/Drugs rocks! Freedom to engage in a Free Thinking Recovery Method that's a flexible fit rocks as well.

I had no interest in living a Life of Recovery. I was interested in living a Recovered Life. I am doing so.

-----