View Single Post
Old 11-18-2014, 02:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

There is a great book by Daniel Kahneman called Thinking Fast and Slow that you might enjoy. It discusses the phenomenon of how the brain works as two different systems - one that works fast and one that works slow. Fast Brain can do things as if you're on auto-pilot. All the functions of normal life activity are processed fast. New and unusual things require slower processing and some effort.

Drinking was normal for me for decades. My fast brain could process my drinking related activities as if I was on auto-pilot. Even hiding my stash, hiding my empties, rotating liquor stores, etc. required very little mental effort. Doing those things took time, but very little mental effort.

When I first started not drinking it was abnormal. It required slow, rational thinking. It required more mental effort than drinking.

I am happy to say the opposite is now true. Not drinking has become normal, and I can do it with very little mental effort. Handling alcohol in any way is now abnormal. Some months ago I was at a social gathering where people were drinking. A friend moved from one end of the table to the other and asked me to pass his beer down to him. The simple act of having a beer in my hand as I passed it caused my brain to slow down and focus just because it was abnormal.

Congrats on 2 weeks. Keep going. It gets easier.