Thread: first post
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
honeypig

Originally Posted by loveispatient View Post
But I can't shake the feeling in my heart saying that I have to stick this out.
Hi, Loveispatient, and welcome to SR. I think that probably everyone here felt that same thing. If it was possible for us to love our A's into sobriety, there'd be no need for this forum. Unfortunately, love can't cure alcoholism.

Someone posted this link to an article called "Love is Not Enough" a while ago; it might be useful for you at this point. Love is Not Enough

I hope you can do a lot of reading here, making sure not to miss the stickies at the top of the page. Educating yourself about the realities of alcoholism will help you make decisions based on facts, not on hopes and dreams. My A told me, 20 years ago when we met, that he was an alcoholic in recovery. If I'd really understood what alcoholism was and understood that he was in no way in recovery, I'd have made very different decisions. However, I let my own fears and my desire for what I saw as safety and security blind me to what was right in front of my face. I'm looking at a stack of work to get myself healthy and back on track after all those years--I hope you can get a head start and not have to dig out of such a mess yourself.

Wishing you strength and clarity.