Thread: first post
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Jenibean87

Um, well... I mean this in the nicest possible way, but, yeah it's a little crazy. (Most of us on this forum are guilty of this same kind of insanity, though. I don't mean to be insulting--that's just why we are here!)

Look at this as bluntly as possible:

You are hoping for a future with a man who has admitted and then demonstrated that he has very a serious, progressive addiction. An addiction that compromises morality. An addiction that allowed him to abandon you twice in favor of drinking. I think the saying is, "when someone shows you who they are, believe them."

I know the optimistic attitude of--we will work it out! He can beat this! But. Be objective. That might not happen. The recovery stats for addiction are really quite low. An addict has to be so completely beaten down that he or she is willing to sacrifice everything and do anything for the chance to get clean. its HARD. And not everybody gets to that level desperation. What do you do when you get him back, and yet he is still drinking? Are you happy?

Health thinking might look more like this: "I will give him his space to recover (more than a handful of weeks!) and when he has shown commitment to his Program and proven that he can be sober, trustworthy, and loving to me, maybe we will revisit the idea of Us. But I know I can't have a healthy relationship with a sick person, and that trying to will bring disaster. It's sad that he is sick, and my heart hurts, but I deserve someone who is capable of creating a real life with me and being healthy, equal partners."

Ideally, we want to avoid making sick choices that hurt us and start making healthy choices--the ones that would make Mom and Dad proud Realistically, I get where you are coming from and I know it's really hard when you're hurting. *hugs*