View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SeekingGrowth

We All Fall Down

Hi everyone. I posted about this in the Newcomer's Forum, in the Book thread, but I think a lot of people miss that thread, so I wanted to post about it here too.

I'm just about finished reading a really great addiction memoir by Nic Sheff called "We All Fall Down". I read a lot of this kind of thing, and don't usually post about it, but THIS one is REALLY good, in my opinion. It is especially good, I think for friends and family of addicts, as it helps shed some light on what may go on in the heads of our addicted loved ones. Everyone is unique, of course, so I'm not suggesting that Nic's experience is exactly like another person's struggling with this disease, but from the many things I've read and heard, I think that much of his feelings about his life, his use, and himself are shared, to a greater or lesser extent, by many people struggling with addiction.

We family and friends are so often wrestling with our own feelings of emotional pain, anger, and betrayal due to our addict's behavior and treatment of us, and it is hard for us not to lose compassion for this person who is the source of our pain. We reach a point where we don't even WANT to understand anymore. This book was helpful in reminding me of the emotional drivers that are often behind the addict's compulsion to use, and it was good for me to consider this perspective. So ... I thought I'd share.