View Single Post
Old 11-06-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SteviePDX

Is my prescription plan enabling my son?

Not sure what to do....My son is 22 and is a marijuana addict. To my knowledge he hasn't taken pills or anything else - but if he did it totally wouldn't surprise me. He is currently dealing with a serious medical issue and his doctors have him on all kinds of medications - multiple benzo prescriptions and one painkiller as well as some other stuff. He has double insurance coverage through both his father and myself. I am beginning to have serious suspicions that he is not using his medications as prescribed. I have also disclosed to his doctors that I believe that he is an addict and they are watching him closely. He is getting his prescriptions through my medical plan as his father's temporarily lapsed. I feel like I should pull his insurance because I don't want to be the one supplying him with the means to start to abuse these meds. Is this enabling? I know he needs some of these medicines but the other stuff I feel he is beginning to abuse and is going to become a big problem. The only way to cut him off the prescription plan is to cut his benefits (he would not be without insurance due to the other coverage). I don't want this on my conscience if he goes off the rails - but realize I am powerless over his choices. Advice please and thank you.