Old 11-06-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
MesaMan

Muscle Memory

In Sports, there's this Practice called 'Muscle Memory'. Jockettes, like my Wife, practice a hard Volleyball 'Spike' hit repeatedly. Ironically, it's called 'A Six Pack'. This is because the Spike is so hard, it hits the Opponent in their rippling 'Six Pack' - Stomach Muscles - and knocks them on their Azz. After much Practice, you make the desired Sports move w/o your Brain being involved. Hence, the Title of this Post. Golfer Tiger Woods was known to hit 500 Drives off the Tee every morning in Practice. Autopilot.

In a like manner - to my thinking - we can transpose this practice somewhat to Social Settings. I flip my Wine Glass upside down; usually when it's not super-obvious. This is standard Business Dinner Protocol that you don't want to be served Alcohol.

Also, I rehearse my Lines in advance; especially early on in Sobriety. It came in handy last Saturday night. We went to a Pal's Photography Exhibit, and he asked us out to a Bar thereafter. I immediately said 'no'. Just rolled right off my Lips because I'd thought through my answer and optional explanation in advance just in case. Da Wife and I went to Dinner at a Restaurant/Bar she liked from us having been there prior.

Once out the Door, I explained to my curious Wife that perhaps I'd go to a Bar where no Meal was involved after another year or more of Sobriety. Perhaps... I'll go to Bars now where the point is to grab a Meal. No worries. No Triggers.

Rehearse your moves and your Lines. That's how the Pros in various Disciplines do it. I find that it works, and you can skip the tiring back/forth discussion with well-intentioned Friends. This Practice doesn't wait for some 'inner tussle' to occur with an AV. It shuts down the AV in advance. No inner Debate can occur if one side isn't allowed to show up.