View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Fly N Buy
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I am in my 10th month of sobriety but struggling with insomina and anxiety. I just can't stop my mind from digging up memories from my worst drinking days. I am using CBT techniques as best I can but still find myself getting stuck in ruminating.

I read that ruminating is associated with depression so I may seek out an SSRI. Anyone found a way to deal with rumination and intrusive thoughts?
Glad you are here and posting! 10 months is 2 x me! Good for you, that's awesome!!!

I deal with this through the program of AA working the steps. We will not regret the past nor fear the future. I had to find a way past all the crap - step 4/5 deals with it.
That is the only program I have experience with. This is really a confession step - the process is as old as man himself. Even if you have no thoughts of AA, you might try listing your regrets and finding another you can trust to not judge, but just listen to them. Even if your not religious or spiritual - a priest is trained in this as well.

AA members here may light me up for suggesting this - SPONSOR ISSUE - but I feel it may be done this way and help deal with the past. One could read online more about these steps on their own if not big on AA. Just a suggestion......

Good luck, as with all of us - on your sober journey!!
I welcome your shared experience when as you work through these issues.
fly