View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I am in my 10th month of sobriety but struggling with insomina and anxiety. I just can't stop my mind from digging up memories from my worst drinking days. I am using CBT techniques as best I can but still find myself getting stuck in ruminating.

I read that ruminating is associated with depression so I may seek out an SSRI. Anyone found a way to deal with rumination and intrusive thoughts?
interesting.... ME TOO!!

I'm having memories from drinking days, from childhood, all sorts of anxiety in various parts of my life. Here's what I posted about it recently;

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-memories.html

I am seeing a therapist who is working with me on cognitive-behavioral therapy, also working toward acceptance and compassionate self-love through the practice of yoga and just getting started on some simple Buddhist-style meditation.

I believe that it is a phase we need to be patient with. Rather than attack it with SSRI's or more substances, I am choosing to take a path of working with my emotions, being patient, reminding myself that this is temporary, sharing what I'm going through here, at meetings, with my Lady, with my therapist.

It's interesting that we are at about the same duration of sobriety and struggling with similar issues. I bet there is something chemical about it.... the body and mind finally returning to a 'normal' level and balance....

I think it will take time.

Hang in there, share, talk, hold faith!

See a doctor if it worsens or simply becomes unbearable to deal with or to at least rule out any physical issues. For me, I am quite sure that it is emotional and psychological and that I'm essentially having to process long-held pain, shame, fear, self-esteem issues, anxiety that had for so many years just been 'medicated'.