Thread: Grammar issues
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
ZetaP38

Originally Posted by Ursula745 View Post
I am a member of the grammar police. I don't correct people, but it does go through me.

I have to admit that if a post is hard to read or doesn't contain punctuation or paragraphs, I do not read it. My mind cannot take it; too painful...Sad, huh? It truly does make me dizzy, and I hate that because sometimes people need helpful responses, but I just can't do it.

Hi, All ~

After 16 years of sobriety and continuing work on my spiritual recovery, I'm happy to report that my grammar pride has been right-sized.

Today, I take a 'wall of writing', open a WordPad doc and drop it in. I then break it into paragraphs etc. and read away. Punctuation and spelling no longer irritate me - and sometimes it's humorous.

I came to care more about possibly missing something I might need, or in missing an opportunity to encourage someone else, than maintaining that particular resentment. I actually used to feel offended/disrespected when someone sent what I saw as 'sloppy writing'. Like they didn't care enough to send their very best. <bg> It was *personal* - until it wasn't anymore. And I came to see that many folks don't talk or write because of their own shame surrounding lack of communication skills - and to not speak up in AA is not utilizing a major recovery tool: "What I say/write is what *I* most need to hear."

Seeing a spelling or punctuation error in one of *my* posts used to mortify me. No more. I figure it's good practice for some other grammar perfectionist just starting out in sobriety. <g>

One of the most helpful truisms learned in AA was, "Pride covers shame." Seems the more items that have shame wrapped around them and that I drop off in 4th-5th Steps as they pop up in online AA groups, the nearer to earth I get. <s> AA...whatta deal!

I'm not done yet, of course, but I sure hope to one day fully live the line, "we have ceased fighting anything or anyone." Uh, that would include my mother. <s> I feed Hope.

Best to All,

Pamela