View Single Post
Old 11-01-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
anattaboy

Mr. Peele makes some good points but few of his can be proved . Massive data collection, not do-able at the time this book was written, would give his arguments some credibility. The word "disease' has been diluted to include all things uncomfortable (therefore needing "treatment"). Giving alcoholism dis-ease status may have been the beginning of this trend. The Progression is a toughie. By my life course you could prove the progressiveness. I've also been hearing of permanent progressiveness since '81 so is it subliminal (like learning French in your sleep....Moi?)? I do believe Mr. Peele had some financial motive to get a piece of the disgruntled AA-ers buying his books too (but Ernie Kurtz writes so much better). It really boils down to the money. AA's biggest asset is it's self support. If the same altruistic spirit were applied to the science of recovery (vitamins vs. prayer double-blind maybe?) we could get somewhere. I've said more than once " the meeting could be an hour of quilting or doing the hokey-pokey and would have the same results as long as not drinking were the theme. The baby need not be thrown out with the bathwater but given the devotion some AA-ers have for Bill's writings, throwing out what doesn't help or make sense could turn violent. AA is dying a slow death and others are finding the peer-group-model of counseling without the god nonsense works just fine or better. The internet has changed the game for the good. Information is good!