Thread: Grammar issues
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
readerbaby71

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
We all have our pet peeves - only you can determine if it's a symptom of another, larger Codie problem or just aggravating.

It bothers me sometimes, especially when I hear people using the wrong/made up words. (pacific instead of specific, etc.) But I don't think it's my job to police the world for stuff like this, surely we ALL do little things wrong in areas of our lives, it's just a matter of what/where? I'm not perfect (I'm the Queen of Run-On Sentences ) & I try really hard not to judge others for stuff like this, not knowing their personal history.

Here's a great example - one of my besties is a KDG teacher & has some of the worst spelling & grammar skills I've ever seen. It drives me absolutely bonkers if I let it get to me - how can a TEACHER not know the proper usage for there/their/they're, to/too & how to spell????

Taking a step back I've realized that school was INCREDIBLY difficult for her. As a child raised in a seriously dysfunctional & abusive home, school was not a priority & then by the time she became an adult it was hard for her to catch up. She still managed to put herself through college with almost zero support and it took her almost 12 yrs to do it, but she DID. She has always wanted to be a Kdg teacher, taught Pre-K for the entire 12 yrs she was in school & never stopped working toward her goal. She is one of the best, most patient people I've ever seen around kids. She knows every trick in the book for helping kids at that level & has already been acknowledged by her school as having the class that shows the most growth each year by the time the kids leave her care, year after year.

She turned down the chance to work with the higher performing kids in favor of those who are further behind because she knows she can make the greatest impact for them at this point in their lives. She has also opted to work at one of the poorest schools in our district, where many of the kids are so poor that the only meals they get each day are those provided at school. She is giving each of those kids the start she wishes she had had at that point in her life & then she prays that it sticks with them after they leave her - that she proves to them that they CAN learn it all no matter how far behind they are when they start that first important year. At that age she believed herself to be stupid & worthless & spent so much of her life fighting against that stigma that she has made it her life's work to reach as many kids as possible that might be growing up the same way. So I keep that in mind when I'm trying to decipher her text msgs, because I used to judge her pretty harshly for it.
You're friend sounds so awesome! I love hereing storys like this.

LOL