Old 10-24-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi healthyagain,
Yes, RR is very philosophically different than 12 step-based approach and in fact, the author's stance is that involvement/dependence on a group, a higher power, a day at a time, all create a very tenuous situation whereby changing conditions can cause a change in commitment to abstinence.

Another very big difference is that RR is focused solely on ending a substance addiction. It is not a design for living. It is Jack Trimpey's position that, once the addiction ends, individuals are fully capable of leading their lives thereafter however they see fit.
Another important point is that RR is secular. That doesn't mean it's only for atheists. Many very religious/spiritual people choose to use this secular approach to ending their addiction.

Lastly, RR is very controversial because of the authors stance on recoveryism. He believes that this phenomenon is as damaging to individuals and families as addiction is. I happen to agree. To a child, whether your parent is gone because they are drunk or gone because they are at meetings...they are still gone. It feels the same to a little one. I believe healing a family takes time and commitment toward the family, not away from it.