Old 10-23-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Wisconsin

When I got divorced, my ex-husband (who isn't an A), refused to move out, and basically refused to engage me in any discussions about dividing up anything. Ultimately, I accepted that if I wanted to leave, I would have to be the one to do the leaving and I would be able to take very little with me. I took my own personal belongings and my dog, and a little less than half of the girls' toys and clothes. I left with no bedroom furniture for myself, no bedroom furniture for the girls (except one dresser, which my parents bought for my oldest when she was born), no living room furniture except a chair, etc. Our dining table was a card table and four chairs. I did take the scrapbooks/baby books, which I had done all the work on.

Of course, at the time I had a high-paying job, so putting together the money to leave and re-stock certain essential items like dishes and silverware wasn't such a big deal.

My suggestion is to talk it out with the lawyer you choose to engage. I suspect that the lawyer will suggest making an initial offer to your AH and giving him a hard deadline to respond. If he fails to do so, then be prepared to move out and fight for the equity from a distance. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.