View Single Post
Old 10-10-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
ajarlson

cazzap06 - My grandparents sent me back to my mother after she had been in AA for a while, remarried, had a "stable" life (unfortunately our relationship was already permanently damaged on both sides). They have since passed away. I believe they did the best they could, she would never have stayed in one place long enough for them to take care of her, so they took care of me. By the time she started drinking again I was an adult and moved out with my own kids. I loved my grandparents very much and know it's because of them that I turned out as normal as I did. Funny about the being rescued, they rescued me at age 3 and I am eternally grateful. My mother called last night, all chipper and just wanted to make arrangements for me to pick up my grandmother's piano (YAY!). I was pleasant back. As long as I stay within my boundaries I think I'll be ok. No talking to her when she's smashed (so when she calls it ALWAYS goes to voicemail). No taking care of something that happened because she was smashed (cleaning up things she broke etc) and no buying alcohol or drinking with her. Those are boundaries I can live with and still have some sort of relationship. And if she doesn't want to have much contact with me because of them, so be it. I think I am starting to find peace.