Old 04-10-2005, 07:23 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
CAN

Unhappy AH has stopped drinking - Has the behaviour?

I've been married to my husband for 17 years. As far as I know (as much as anyone can be certain), he quit drinking 3 years ago. At first I was extreemly angry. I think it had something to do with the fact that I was in my last year in a 3 year college course and was planning to leave him. I was finally getting on with my life and he gets sober. Very upsetting. In a way it forced me to stay and see if we could make it a go.

I'm not entirely sure if we are still reacting to each other in the same way as we did while he was drinking. The put downs are still coming out of his mouth and he is still trying to make me feel less than I am. I've become bitter & bitchy.

Three years later and I'm still finding it difficult to stay. I love him (likely always will) but I did try to put our lives back together but don't know how. It's like, we've lived so long in specific roles that we no longer know how to communicate with each other. I've found that we have nothing in common (except 2 wonderful girls), we have no sex (told me last year he's not interested) - I don't think there is much to stay for. Perhaps because of the kids?? Who out there can give advice on this?? Or is going through a similar situation?