View Single Post
Old 10-06-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
makomago

Originally Posted by dionysos803 View Post
Since then, he emailed me and his 18 year old son letting us know of his life insurance policy (sounded like a suicide threat to me),.
I remember when I was drinking, I would often remind my partner of my very fine life insurance policy. They would have been taken care of financially. In my case this wasn't a suicide threat.

Upon reflection, in my case, it was an admission of my own sense of failure and not necessarily to them. More that even though I felt (not without justification) that I was useless at least I was doing the only thing I felt capable of. To look after them when I was gone.

It said more about how I was feeling about myself than a statement of anything else. It was me saying I'll look after you because I love you all even though I didn't feel capable, or worthy of having people to look after.

.... Of course, whilst I was drinking alcoholically I was completely insane and the symptom (drinking alcoholically) and such statements were mere attempts at trying to make myself feel better than I actually did (at the time).

Such distractions kept me from recovery though!!