View Single Post
Old 10-03-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Wastinglife

Hi Tetra, I know what you are going through. I was all set on the career path in my 20's. Got a great job out of college with a big bank with great future opportunities if I worked hard. I was there for about 5 years when my drinking started to take over and eventually ruined my career there.

5 years of alcoholic drinking ensued with sporadic employment. Lost many jobs because I just couldn't stay sober. At 34, after being evicted from my apartment, I went to rehab, then when I got out, moved back with my parents (very humbling). I spent the next 6 months there applying for jobs and interviewing. Must have sent 50 resumes out and done 10 interviews before I got a decent offer.

I eventually got a job and moved out to my own place, but I am over-qualified. I have a degree from a good school and fret that I ruined my chances and that I am going to be a failure. I am 38 now and still putting my life back together.

You are doing fine. I have been in your shoes and did it the same way you are doing it. You have a caring family for support so just worry about being sober and keeping up the job hunt. It's competitive out there so don't think a rejection letter means anything. I have about 50 rejection emails in my inbox