View Single Post
Old 09-30-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
fluffyflea

They go hand in hand

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
Just got home from a meeting where a woman went on and on about her 3 year "battle" (her words) with her codependency. She described herself as initially unable to tolerate other people's feelings without taking them on herself and needing to "fix" them. She couldn't let someone just be sad, or just be mad. She had to "tamp those feelings down" (her words again). She said it took her a long time to realize just how annoying that is to other people - not thinking that they can have feelings around her because she was always trying to talk them out of it.

Eye-opener here...that woman just described my RAH. I walked out of the meeting tonight thinking the whole "I am not responsible for your feelings" line he throws at me whenever I (gasp) express feelings might be something other than him trying to beat me with the AA program.

Maybe he is pretty darn codependent himself.

Knowing his history a little bit better now; his father is an ACoA and his Dad (RAH's grandfather) was the town drunk. Lots of dysfunction there, which I am sure carried down into RAH's family in a variety of ways.

Do alcoholics tend toward codependency as well?