View Single Post
Old 09-27-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
closetlobster

Spent the whole of the day in a pub...

And didn't drink.

That's right, I decided to meet a friend today in a pub by the Thames at lunchtime. He was getting geared up for our typical booze-filled Saturday of conversation reaching into the evening.

I, however, decided to get my lunch with a Coke. After my second Coke he asked why I wasn't drinking - looking a little disappointed. I then told him everything:

The hospitalisation last month, the missed days of work, the lone drinking, the hiding empties, recklessly spending most of my salary on drink etc. etc. . .

For the first time, I've been honest with my friends and family and have decided this time I'm not doing it alone.

We spent the rest of the day drinking coffee in the bar and had our dinner. I'm now home, sober in bed writing this to you guys.

I feel this is important as I don't want to forfeit my social life (which for better or for worse tends to revolve around several bars).

I had a good day, at a bar, with no drink - left early at 9pm and missed the worse (messy) part of the night. I'll let my friends enjoy and feel awful the next day :P