View Single Post
Old 09-27-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Kiya

Good Morning everyone. How's Saturday (morning for me) finding you all? It's just me and the boys today. My wife is gone to Women of Faith this weekend and was gone last night & most all of today. My project today is to see how much I can just get cleaned up around the house to surprise her while she gets back. It's something that she won't expect, generally my projects need done but make as much of a mess as anything (power washing the house, replacing the bathroom fan, replace the shed doors, etc). It's rare the I just clean without her around and us doing it together.

I've shared this poem before but I don't believe I have in the June thread. It's just titled 'The Builder' by an unknown author. It was a favorite of my Grandpa and my wife framed it and put it in our bathroom where I can see it every morning. It reminds me that it's definitely not the easy path trying to build something (sobriety, relationships, faith, anything) but it's so worth it. And it's also so much easier to destroy or tear it down. And you see it every day around you where people focus on what everyone is doing wrong and not supporting each other.

As I watched them tear a building down
A gang of men in a busy town
With a ho-heave-ho, and a lusty yell
They swung a beam and the side wall fell

I asked the foreman, "Are these men skilled,
And the men you'd hire if you were to build?"
He gave a laugh and said, "No, indeed,
Just common labor is all I need."

"I can easily wreck in a day or two,
What builders have taken years to do."
And I thought to myself, as I went my way
Which of these roles have I tried to play?

Am I a builder who works with care,
Measuring life by rule and square?
Am I shaping my work to a well-made plan
Patiently doing the best I can?

Or am I a wrecker who walks to town
Content with the labor of tearing down?