Thread: 60 Days!
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2005, 07:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
jmhs002

Nutz,
How and why? Hmmm.....

First, accepting that I really an an alcoholic and saying out loud in meetings. I had known for a long time, but didn't really want to do anything about it - at times I think that I was waiting for the other shoe to drop to force me into doing something about my drinking. But, finally, I realized that I had had enough, and that if I continued on the path that I was on, that I would not be around long term. So, that was the first thing. Finding a really good group for an AA meeting also really helped me - it may not be for everyone, but it helps me. Actually finding people in person that could relate to my situation was helpful - and this site has also been helpful in many ways (thanks T!) Also, not looking ahead too far - if I thought that I can't drink this summer, or at holidays, or duing football season, or golfing, or whatever, then I would be tempted to say screw it and just go get loaded - so I really need to work hard at just taking it a day at a time.

Why? It was time for me to stop drinking - I truly feel it was just time. Sorry I got long winded here - take care!