View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ladyscribbler

Originally Posted by Teddysgirl View Post
Thank you zoso. I have always been a worrier. And an anxious person. Honestly since he has been in jail, my anxiety and stress has gone down a lot. Probably because he isn't able to make threats at me or verbally abuse me. Oh, he was so good at that. The things he would say to me....the unimaginable word you never call a woman...that's what I was called. It's so nice not to hear those things anymore. He hurt me deeply and it still hurts. But it is getting easier every single day I think.
That peace is such a relief. It felt weird at first, and I would be anxious because for once there was nothing to worry about, but I got used to it and now I can't imagine going back to that chaos of drama and threats and abuse.
Alanon helped me a lot. Have you tried any Naranon or Alanon meetings? Having face to face support is a huge help with that anxiety.
I also went no contact with him and his family for several months right after I left. They were making a lot of threats about custody and ranting about grandparents' rights, calling me names, cursing at me.
I have since mended fences with his parents, for my son's sake, and I never cut off their contact with him. They had to experience the brunt of his addiction for themselves before they could accept what a huge problem my ex has. All my cleaning up and enabling kept them from seeing the truth for a long time.