View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  
Avice

Yeah, the bar story is pretty funny all right. A few drinks and suddenly I'm an expert in restaurant management.

I'm actually saving something for myself just in case I ever get really tempted to drink again...one night I got hammered and decided to lip synch to a Billy Joel song using two bricks as props. Yes, bricks. I thought, "Yeah man, this is cool - I'm gonna upload it to Youtube tomorrow." I never did, and I haven't had the courage (or patience) to watch it. I have...probably 10 takes of that thing. I don't know what was wrong with the first take...I mean, was I not making full use of the bricks? Did I suddenly come up with innovative and exciting ways to wave bricks around? I won't know until I watch it.

Anyhoo, there's been a lot of talk lately about wanting to 'fix things' right away. I'm generally doing pretty well at taking things slow and realizing that I can't push myself too hard...but I have that very same voice in my head. Yesterday, I decided to do a cardio workout from Youtube. Read a comment: "I couldn't even make it past the first 6 minutes!" I was like: "I bet I can!" I did. I also almost puked at the end and I can barely walk today. Yay me! I've since found a beginner's workout...

Hi startingnew2!

thisibelieve. You're right...the morning after is never good. At best, my stomach hated me. At worst, I'd wake up with huge bruises and know I fell, but had no recollection of where or when. Awful stuff. It's makes you feel like something outside of yourself is waiting to attack you. The anxiety will pass once you realize that you can trust yourself.

deanyya. You're right. The last thing I need in my life is a romantic relationship in my life at this moment. I would really like to know what it feels like to be in love, but I need to learn how to trust myself first. I mean, how can you trust someone if you can't trust yourself? Sobriety comes first. Then I need to work on developing friendships that aren't based around drinking. Oh yeah, and get a job. Get stable. Then I'll be in a much better position to open up to someone.

As for you...I know exactly what you feel like, because I completed my last stint of sobriety in the middle of a very chaotic situation. Actually, this is for you too, NotSoIvory. Go for a walk if you can. Seriously, getting out for even 45 minutes was so helpful. Do it every single night (if you can). I know it's difficult to find time, but once you get into the habit you'll become addicted to it.
Just so you know, it was NOT the chaotic situation that tripped me up...I made it though that. It was something else, which is a looooonnng story that I don't feel like getting into right now.

NotSoIvory. I'm gonna send you a PM, because I have had a very similar experience and I want to share a couple of things that I learned.

Findingtheway. One of my hobbies is making up new lyrics to the Spiderman theme song...
Spiderman, Spiderman.
Trampoline and a ceiling fan.
(etc.)

gnarlyboots. Glad you're having a good time! I think I know what the problem is re: your keyboard. You must have your claws retracted. Clearly, the Apple keyboards were meant to be used by creatures with claws...cats big and small, lizard people, certain species of aliens...just look at Wikipedia:
There have been ten significant releases of OS X. Prior to 10.9 came 10.8 ("Mountain Lion"), 10.7 ("Lion"), 10.6 ("Snow Leopard"), 10.5 ("Leopard"), 10.4 ("Tiger"), 10.3 ("Panther"), 10.2 ("Jaguar"), 10.1 ("Puma"), and 10.0 ("Cheetah").
See? Just think about climbing a tree or something and use those claws to type. Too bad Steve never made a keyboard suitable for human use...

safeandsound. Yes, I did have the phantom hangover experience. Day 5 I think. It was really weird. I also had a really bad day where I absolutely could not stop crying for hours. However, I actually cried a lot more when I was drinking.

Cecilia44. Have courage. I'm past 2 weeks now and I'm sleeping like a rock...seriously. The other great thing is that I used to need 9-10 hours of sleep and now I only need 7.

Neverthought. Your avatar - is that your dog?