View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaneda8888

Hey Nuudawn

I had a huge panic attack about 5 months into my sobriety. I had travelled overseas for a job interview and the day before the meeting, I was overcome with anxiety. It consumed me and I could not shake it. I tried to walk around and get some fresh air, eat something sweet, etc but nothing helped. It was a horrible feeling where I was overwhelmed. Now when I read about folks who suffer from anxiety, I truly feel compassion for them as it must be tough to continually suffer from anxiety attacks.

Strangely enough, I did not have any desire to drink, but I did have this strong desire to have a smoke. This was despite the fact that I had given up cigarettes for more than 5 years. I didn't succumb to that but had a cigar (I smoke about 3 cigars a year on average) in what I thought was a divan but which turned out to be a whisky bar. Its funny as I didn't even realise there was liquor until I left.

In retrospect, I would should have meditated but I know better now.

I guess the point is that I did have a panic attack after gaining sobriety. Fingers crossed, it will be the only one and I'm grateful I didn't get the urge to drink. I think I have learned from it as well.

Hang in there Nuudawn !