View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
IOAA2

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
As far as I know, there is no way the anxiety is going to stop if the drinking continues. Alcohol exacerbates anxiety and panic, while seeming like it's the solution to it. It lies. It only makes it worse.

AA opened the door to a great deal of that new living. I immediately started incorporating the 12 steps into my life, and then took every other possible suggestion to stop feeling the way I was feeling. Things didn't change overnight, and I didn't change my habits overnight, but I started exercising, doing relaxation exercises, reading positive material and books on how to cope with anxiety and panic. Counseling helped immensely too, as did some major changes in my diet. I'm free now from the panic and anxiety that once crippled me. I was a mess of anxiety from my earliest memory, and I don't believe it is a life sentence unless we're unwilling to learn to do things differently.

Putting down the alcohol is the first step.

True words written. This getting sober is a process of doing what is successful for others and always involves two words I never fancied: WORK AND CHANGE. It’s not a soft and fuzzy process and is something beyond just stopping drinking. Many can stop for short periods and I wanted to be an old timer some day.
Our society wants instant everything but sobriety is a process that takes time. Once we stop we can look back and say this or that has gone away now as a result of not drinking. We can then more easily even like our self and life.

BE WELL