View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

As far as I know, there is no way the anxiety is going to stop if the drinking continues. Alcohol exacerbates anxiety and panic, while seeming like it's the solution to it. It lies. It only makes it worse.

My anxiety and panic made me agoraphobic. I could no longer function. I was absolutely a candidate for medication, but because I got sober in 1984 and not 2014, it wasn't presented as the first option for me. I was forced to learn to live and think differently if I wanted to rid myself of the horror show my mind had become.

AA opened the door to a great deal of that new living. I immediately started incorporating the 12 steps into my life, and then took every other possible suggestion to stop feeling the way I was feeling. Things didn't change overnight, and I didn't change my habits overnight, but I started exercising, doing relaxation exercises, reading positive material and books on how to cope with anxiety and panic. Counseling helped immensely too, as did some major changes in my diet. I'm free now from the panic and anxiety that once crippled me. I was a mess of anxiety from my earliest memory, and I don't believe it is a life sentence unless we're unwilling to learn to do things differently.

Putting down the alcohol is the first step.