View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lifereturning

Some thoughts , day 16

I just posted on my own thread but wanted to repeat my thoughts here:
I am on day 16 and this is not my first time getting through early days without alcohol, though I feel different (over it?) this time, and I'm learning.

Moderation:
Drinking in moderation is a fallacy because there actually is no absolute safe level except for non at all. (I drank to get drunk - I liked the numbness).

I have come to realise that 'drink' (i.e. alcohol) is the only drink you have to justify not drinking to others. That is because of the all pervasive culture of drinking we live in.

No one should have to justify not drinking alcohol and yet, we do.

People will ask you: "Why? Do you have a problem / are you alcoholic?"
This shifts the attention away from other drinkers who may, quite reasonably, be drinking in more moderate amounts than you have been doing recently. What is not considered is that these same people may be at risk at different times in their life, be that in the short or longer term. (or may already be in trouble due to drinking).

Once well enough, it should be easy to reject peer pressure. But in the early days it is best to keep away from other drinkers. which leads me to:

Early recovery:
I miss alcohol. Like an actual grieving process.
You start to see things that you haven't been dealing with come back into focus. You may be hiding depression behind your drinking.

Discomfort is going to happen but this doesn't have to be negative.
Body; organs need to adapt back to normal - every part of your body has adapted to alcohol to some extent. That is why I have felt tired / stressed, anxious I think.
And the mind; it needs to regain a handle on life...